No formal audition necessary for Varsity Chorus, University Chorale, and All-Collegiate Choir. Register and see below.
UNIVERSITY SINGERS & CHAMBER SINGERS will both be auditioning new singers for Spring '23 as many UNL ensembles have changed rehearsal times because of the renovation-closure of Kimball Recital Hall.
Please direct all questions—no matter the ensemble—to BOTH Dr. Pete Eklund AND Dr. Marques L. A. Garrett. Auditions for University Singers will be by appointment (Email Dr. Eklund)
UNIVERSITY SINGERS (Two Pieces)
1) Quem vidistis (full score sheet music)
Soprano, Mezzo Soprano, & AltoSoprano 1 Predominant Practice Audio
Tenor, Baritone, & Bass
2) When Storms of Life
Soprano & Alto
University Singers Spring Performance Schedule
Please, check your calendar to ensure that you are available for the following performance dates:
February 5, two morning performances at First-Plymouth with the Plymouth Brass
TBA performances of the National Anthem for UNL athletic events (same verson used in the Nebraska Capitol)
TBA tour to Omaha metro schools
April 27, performance of Handel's immortal MESSIAH (the month Handel intended it to be performed and when he conducted its première and the month he conducted it every year the remainder of his life.)
CHAMBER SINGERS – NEW for Spring 2023!!!
Complete the registration form prior to arrival. Learn both excerpts available here. (The audio for All Night I Could Not Sleep plays beyond what you need for the audition.) The audition is Thursday, December 8, 1:30pm to 3:10pm (full time), in Westbrook Music Building 119. There will be a short reading portion to the audition. We will review the audition music on Tuesday, December 6 at 2:30pm in WMB 119.
Chamber Singers Spring Performance Schedule – NEW for Spring 2023!!!
Tuesday, March 28 @ 7:30pm - First-Plymouth Congregational Church, Lincoln, NE
Friday, April 1 (evening) - Ice Box, Lincoln, NE
Sunday, April 16 @ 9am and 10:30am - First-Plymouth Congregational Church, Lincoln, NE
Spring 2023 Audition Results
VARSITY MEN'S CHORUS
No audition!! Simply register for the ensemble (MUDC 343/MUEN 343/843). Attend the first rehearsal on Monday, January 23, 2023 at 4:00pm in Westbrook room 119.
No audition!! Simply register for the ensemble (MUDC 346/MUEN 346/846). Attend the first rehearsal on Monday, January 23, 2023 at 4:00pm at St. Mark's on the Campus Episcopal Church (1309 R St, Lincoln, NE 68508).
No audition!! Simply register for the ensemble (MUDC 341/MUEN 341). Attend the first rehearsal on Thursday, January 26, 2023 at 7:00pm in Westbrook room 130.
Contact Dr. David von Kampen if there are additional questions.
BIG RED SINGERS
Auditions for the 2022 Fall Semester:
Time and Place:
August 23, 5:30pm-10pm (Westbrook Music Bldg rm110) or August 24 (Westbrook Music Bldg rm114), 5pm-10pm (must be present at one, not both).
We are seeking
• Students who are willing to make a year-long commitment to this pre-determined student-friendly schedule of rehearsals/performances (Sunday and Tuesday evening rehearsals). Students who are capable and willing to participate in the total choral experience at Nebraska. Very strong consideration will be given to those who are enrolled in another curricular choral ensemble (can register for 0 credit and $0).
• Students who are eager to learn more about how show choir shows are run and perfected (those future teachers who will one day, run their own ensemble).
• Flexible individuals who can work as a team/ensemble.
• Use this GoogleDoc (audition registration) to complete requested pre-audition information. Additional questions, contact email@example.com before your audition date.
• Prepare the piece of music below ("Nebraska Hymn" — there are learning tracks listed under the downloadable music below — it need not be memorized at the audition. You will vocally audition in assigned quartets of similar voicing (SA, TB, for example). During your assigned 10-minute time slot, quartets will sing through sections of "Nebraska Hymn" (sheet music posted below), be individually vocalized by an instructor, and asked a few interview-like questions. Music sight-reading might be requested.
• Be prepared to change into more comfortable clothing for the dance portion of the audition. You will be asked to learn and memorize a short secment of music and choreography from a passage from a piece of music to be performed in the fall show. Auditonees will not be judged during the learning portion of this process. After a healthy amount of repetitions both singing and dancing, groups of four (SATB) will be asked to sing and dance the music and choreography for the BRS Leadership Team. Multiple categories in both singing and dancing will be scored.
• Have your hair configured to represent the look you will recreate on stage for future performances.
• Please complete the form (above) and list any conflicts that you may have with either night, so that you may be scheduled accordingly. You may or may not get your preferred audition day depending on all preferences, so please be flexible.
• Vocal audition is formal, there will be time to change into dance attire
Mission of the ensemble:
• To prepare future performers for careers in performing and to audition well.
• To prepare tomorrow's music educators.
• To create a great environment for those desiring to continue their performing and enhance their performance skills.
2022–2023 BRS LIST
(alphabetical by last name)–There were many, many great people who auditioned. If your name is not here, please keep singing in a UNL choral ensemble and audition again; many who have done that in the past have been accepted into this group on their next audition.
Hannah Marie Donnell
Samyak S Pandit