No audition for Varsity Men’s Chorus, University Chorale, and All-Collegiate Choir. Register, attend, and see below.
UNIVERSITY SINGERS & CHAMBER SINGERS
Westbrook Music Building, room 130
Sunday, August 22
Soprano – 1:00pm
Alto – 3:30pm
Bass – 7:00pm
Monday, August 23
- Tenor – 1:30pm
Prior to your audition block, complete the Registration Form. You must be signed in using your UNL information to complete the form. The musical scores and rehearsal tracks for each choir are available below. Please bring your own scores to the audition. There is no need to bring an accompanist.
If you are only interested in one ensemble, learn the two songs for that ensemble. If you are interested in either ensemble but can only participate in one, learn both songs for both ensembles. If you are interested in being a member of both ensembles, learn both songs for both ensembles.
Please direct all questions—no matter the ensemble—to BOTH Dr. Pete Eklund and Dr. Marques L. A. Garrett.
UNIVERSITY SINGERS (Two Pieces)
When Storms of Life
Soprano & Alto
CHAMBER SINGERS (Two Pieces)
Lobet den Herrn, alle Heiden, BWV 230
The audition will consist of only measures 1 through 58. Learn on the following syllables instead of words:
- Soprano – /da/ also known as 'dah'
- Alto – /do/ also known as 'doh'
- Tenor – /di/ also known as 'dee'
- Bass – /dɛ/ also known as 'deh'
- The predominant learning tracks are at http://www.cyberbass.com/Major_Works/Bach_J_S/bach_js_motets.htm.
- Locate "Lobet den Herrn, alle Heiden" and select your voice part. You can slow it down for easier learning then speed up to practice.
Soprano & Alto
2021 Audition Results
Dylan Anderson (freshman)
Paul von Kampen
VARSITY MEN'S CHORUS
No audition!! Simply register for the ensemble. Attend the first rehearsal on Monday, August 23 at 3:30pm on the Kimball Recital Hall stage. Enter through the north doors. Proceed to the stage.
No audition!! Simply register for the ensemble. Attend the first rehearsal on Monday, August 23 at 3:30pm in Westbrook room 119.
No audition!! Simply register for the ensemble. Attend the first rehearsal on Thursday, August 26 at 7:00pm in Westbrook room 130.
Contact Dr. David von Kampen if there are additional questions.
BIG RED SINGERS
Auditions for the 2021 Fall Semester:
Time and Place:
August 24th, 5pm-10pm (Westbrook Music Bldg rm110) or August 25th (Westbrook Music Bldg rm119), 5pm-10pm (must be present at one, not both).
We are seeking...
• Students who are willing to make a year-long commitment to this pre-determined student-friendly schedule of rehearsals/performances (Sunday and Tuesday evening rehearsals). Students who are capable and willing to participate in the total choral experience at Nebraska. Very strong consideration will be given to those who are enrolled in another curricular choral ensemble (can register for 0 credit and $0).
• Students who are eager to learn more about how show choir shows are run and perfected (those future teachers who will one day, run their own ensemble).
• Flexible individuals who can work as a team/ensemble.
• Use this GoogleDoc (audition registration) to complete requested pre-audition information. Additional questions, contact email@example.com before your audition date.
• Prepare the piece of music below ("Nebraska Hymn" — there are learning tracks listed under the downloadable music below — it need not be memorized at the audition. You will vocally audition in assigned quartets of similar voicing (SA, TB, for example). During your assigned 10-minute time slot, quartets will sing through sections of "Nebraska Hymn" (sheet music posted below), be individually vocalized by an instructor, and asked a few interview-like questions. Music sight-reading might be requested.
• Be prepared to change into more comfortable clothing for the dance portion of the audition. You will be asked to learn and memorize a short secment of music and choreography from a passage from a piece of music to be performed in the fall show. Auditonees will not be judged during the learning portion of this process. After a healthy amount of repetitions both singing and dancing, groups of four (SATB) will be asked to sing and dance the music and choreography for the BRS Leadership Team. Multiple categories in both singing and dancing will be scored.
• Have your hair configured to represent the look you will recreate on stage for future performances.
• Please complete the form (above) and list any conflicts that you may have with either night, so that you may be scheduled accordingly. You may or may not get your preferred audition day depending on all preferences, so please be flexible.
• Vocal audition is formal, there will be time to change into dance attire
Mission of the ensemble:
• To prepare future performers for careers in performing and to audition well.
• To prepare tomorrow's music educators.
• To create a great environment for those desiring to continue their performing and enhance their performance skills.
2021-2022 BRS LIST (so far) clear your calendar for all upcoming events...yes, they may come up with shorter notice as this COVID-world affects us all.
Dylan Anderson (sophomore, since we have two by that name)
Maddy StolcpartCole SwoffordKailyn TownsendJackson TurmanGavin ValleAaron Vrbka
+TBA if space available