Workshop Dates: June 16 - 20, 2013
The University of Nebraska–Lincoln School of Music and the Jazz Studies Area at UNL is proud to announce the creation of the Summer Jazz Workshop. Unlike typical jazz band camps, the focus of the UNL Jazz Workshop is on the exploration and the creation of music through improvisation in the small group setting. By removing the barriers faced by many young players, they can learn to discover their own unique voice and creative outlet. This camp is open to any instrumental student entering 9th grade through the end of the 12th grade. There is no set instrumentation and all students are encouraged to apply. This workshop is for you if you are interested in improvising and have a desire to move to the next level.
Sure we listen to music, but do we know what to listen for? This session is geared toward developing critical listening skills that are required for all jazz players. Each day, students will be taught skills to help develop a better understanding of melodic, harmonic and rhythmic use in jazz. Additionally, students will develop a basic list of listening/key recordings to jump start future explorations.
Students will have the opportunity to work with our workshop faculty and UNL students in an idiomatic setting to learn how to get the most out of their instrument. Techniques discussed will help develop better tone, technique and overall musicianship.
JAZZ THEORY AND IMPROVISATION:
At most camps, theory and improvisation (application of theoretic principals) are separate sessions. Not in our workshop. Our approach is to focus on the theoretical principals through exploration and performance. Focusing on color, function and application, we will discuss how the theory makes the music special.
Everyone can create. Everyone can compose. In this session headed by Dr. Eric Richards, an internationally recognized composer and arranger, students will learn the tools to take the creative inner voice and put it on paper.
Small combos are an excellent way to create with others. Groups will be organized by ability and will range from 5 to 8 players. We will work daily on jazz standards and new compositions and arrangements. Groups will be coached by our renowned faculty.
The 2013 schedule will be posted at a later date.
The UNL Jazz Workshop is open to all band and orchestral instrumentalists. Since the program based on improvisation and the small group setting, this affords instruments not commonly associated with the jazz band to participate. We are not currently offering voice as an option. For rhythm section players (Piano, bass, drums, guitar) you are encouraged to bring your own amplifiers, cords and instruments. The exception is piano, in which case we are able to provide quality pianos for rehearsals and performances. Drummers are encouraged to bring their own drum kit and cymbals.
UNL Conference Services is committed to providing appropriate accommodations to guests with disabilities. In order to ensure that appropriate arrangements can be made, guests with disabilities who need reasonable accommodations must contact the Director of Services for Students with Disabilities at 402/472-3787 at least three weeks prior to their scheduled arrival on campus. Please be prepared to tell that office the name of the conference/camp and dates of attendance.
All participants are encouraged to live on campus during the workshop to take full advantage of planned activities. Students choosing the resident camper package live in a campus residence hall and dine in the hall's cafeteria. Each floor is supervised by live-in UNL student counselors. Day campers may purchase a meals package.
Resident Camper Package: $330 plus $5 handling fee
Housing is provided in a city campus residence hall supervised by UNL student counselors and residence hall staff. Meals are provided in the camper's assigned residence hall cafeteria.
Day Camper Package: $305 plus $5 handling fee
Afternoon and evening meals are provided through lunch on the last day of the camp with this package. A campus parking permit is available for an additional fee.
The registration form is located at https://unlmusic.slideroom.com
- The student or a parent can set up an account using an e-mail address that you check regularly, and a password of your choice. Be sure to click the SIGNUP button on your first entry. You can leave and return to the registration form repeatedly until you have completed all questions and have included your credit or debit card information. Click the LOG IN button on return visits to the registration site. It is best that band directors not submit registration forms for their students since the software is not set up for group registrations or for payment via check.
- After you log in you will see a SlideRoom Account Registration screen. This is where you provide us with contact information. PLEASE use the student’s name and not the parent’s name or the band director’s name (we’ll ask for that information on a subsequent screen).
- Click the Start A New Submission button. The Available Programs screen will appear. Click on Jazz Workshop (JW) under Categories on the left side of the screen. Two choices will appear: 2013 Jazz Workshop Day Camper and 2013 Jazz Workshop Resident Camper. Click on the Begin button to the right of the appropriate listing for your camp package choice. A folder icon will appear on this screen under Pending Submissions if you exit the registration form and return at a later time. Click on that icon to resume your registration when you return.
- Answer all of the questions on each of the screens. Click on the Next Step button to take you to each successive screen. Note that the Next Step button will remain inactive (grayed out) until you have answered all of the mandatory questions on each screen. You may have to scroll down to see all of the questions depending on the size of your monitor or screen. Also note that there may be two scroll bars on the right of your screen, depending on your operating system. That is a function of Flash software over which we have no control. The scroll bars are not present in Apple’s Lion Operating System, however, you still have the ability to scroll up or down.
- The final step is payment of the appropriate camp registration fees. Credit card information is required. Click the Payment Confirmation button and then click the Submit button. Note that you cannot return to the form once you click the submit button.