Fall 2015 Ensemble Audition Information
UNL JAZZ STUDIES
FALL 2015 Jazz Auditions
August 24-26, 2015
Monday, August 24, 2015
Tuesday, August 25, 2015
7:00-8:30 pm-Rhythm Section
Wednesday, August 26, 2015
ALL AUDITIONS ARE HELD IN WESTBROOK MUSIC BUILDING ROOM 114
SIGN UP SHEETS ARE POSTED OUTSIDE WMB 205 ON THE JAZZ STUDIES BOARD.
UNL JAZZ GROUPS ARE OPEN TO ALL STUDENT REGARDLESS OF DEGREE
AUDITION INFORMATIONDownload the Jazz Audition Music and information packet
FALL 2015 LARGE AUDITION ETUDE or COMBO ETUDE “Freight Trane”
Please note: Any student who auditions on the lead part will automatically be considered for
a section position and does not need to perform a separate section audition. Bass trombone
should use the appropriately marked etude.
- Two 12 bar choruses of blues improvisation in either F or B flat is required for all auditioning
students (except drums).
- Sight reading
Piano, Guitar, Vibes/Percussion*, Bass:
- FALL 2015 LARGE AUDITION ETUDE or COMBO ETUDE “Freight Trane”
- Comp two choruses of blues (Bb or F) and two choruses soloing
- *Vibes/Percussion players: The presence of vibes/percussion audition materials does not
guarantee the use of a vibes/percussion player in all UNL Jazz Ensembles or on all pieces
performed. A vibes/percussion player will be used in UNL Jazz Bands with the following
conditions: 1. Vibraphone and/or percussion parts are available in the set of charts performed by
the UNL Jazz Bands, and 2. A proficient player on vibraphone and percussion is determined
through the audition process.
- FALL 2015 AUDITION ETUDES at indicated metronome markings.
- Drummers should also perform the following styles 1. Medium-tempo swing (quarter note =
120), 2. Up-tempo swing (quarter note = 220), 3. Samba (half note = 100), 4. Afro-Cuban 12/8
(dotted quarter = 120), 5. Bossa Nova (quarter note = 130) 6. Funk (quarter note = 90)
- Please note: Each style should be performed trading four bars of time, followed by four bars of
solo. Each style demonstration should be 32 bars total with the exception of the Up-tempo swing
which should be 64 bars using 8 bars of time followed by 8 bars of solo.
PLEASE NOTE: Students who ONLY wish to audition for jazz combos should download the
combo etude, “FREIGHT TRANE”. Students who wish to audition for large ensembles or wish to
participate in BOTH large ensembles and combos should audition ONLY on the Large Ensemble
Jazz Audition Music.