Graduate Only Audition Day - February 18, 2012
(Conducting students and Jazz Performance student audition on February 17, 2012)
Doctor of Musical Arts - Overview & Emphasis:Areas of emphasis include:
- MM GPA = 3.25/4.00 scale
- Successful Audition or Accepted Portfolio (Composition only)
- Evidence of scholarly writing ability
- Evidence of fit between the applicant's goals/interests and the School's ability to address those goals/interests
- (For International Students Only) TOEFL minimum=Paper-600 Internet-100 (IELTS 7.0)
- Submit Screening Materials: Audio CD (performance) or video DVD (conducting) or audio CD & scores (composition)
- Complete UNL Graduate College Application form (and
$50 application fee), available on-line at www.unl.edu/gradstudies/ is
Include one official copy of transcripts of all undergraduate work and all previous graduate work (including all studies for which credit was granted; e.g. summer institutes such as Aspen or Interlochen).
- Upon receiving approval of screening materials (performance & conducting only), schedule Audition (audition requirements may be found here)
- Submit three letters of recommendation (use form available at www.unl.edu/gradstudies/prospective/recommendation.pdf) from persons who will provide a comprehensive assessment of the applicant's character, musical ability, and promise as a graduate student is required.
- Submit a Statement of Purpose (500-700 words; Times, 12-point font; Word, rtf or pdf format; double-spaced) should be written by the applicant describing his/her future goals and how the DMA can help attain those goals.
- Complete a Written Exercise, a 500-700 word essay (Times, 12-point font; Word, rtf or pdf format; double-spaced) without consulting any outside references (human, electronic or in-print) via an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org on the following question:
- Discuss the characteristics of style and form in each composition, and
- Discuss each composer's contribution to THIS PARTICULAR GENRE OF MUSIC (i.e., discuss additional compositions, historical and/or theoretical significance of contribution, or compare/contrast your composition to well-known compositions of a similar genre or style.)
- (For International Students Only) Send your official TOEFL scores to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln by going to the TOEFL website and following the instructions for score reporting. The institution code for the University of Nebraska-Lincoln is 6877.
Select two compositions performed, conducted or originally composed from a recent Masters or DMA recital that represent different historical periods or contrasting styles/genres and
The essay must include this honor code statement at the beginning of the essay: "On my honor, I have not received any unauthorized aid on this essay." Students' essays will also be subjected to random plagiarism software checks. Any violations of the honor code statement or evidence of plagiarism will result in the student's application portfolio being withdrawn from further consideration.
NOTE: An interview is required and will be conducted with each candidate following the audition.
Send all admissions materials (other than Graduate College Application form and transcripts) to Janet Sievert, Assistant to the Director, 121 Westbrook Music Bldg., University of Nebraska-Lincoln; Lincoln, NE 68588-0100 or email@example.com.
Graduate Teaching Assistantships
Current Annual Benefit Package
$27,509: Non-Resident Students
$16,319: Resident Students
(includes $8,500 stipend, health benefits and tuition for up to 24 credits)
|Assistantships are available in these areas:|
|Chamber Music||Choral Music|
|Classroom Teaching||Music History|
Application portfolios completed before February 15 will be given priority
Please contact the School of Music for further information: Request more information
Fellowships & Other Financial Support
The Hixson-Lied Fellowships in Music are awarded to graduate assistants in the School of Music who possess credentials of the highest quality. Students may hold these fellowships through the usual time period of completing their degree. Cash awards to Hixson-Lied Fellows are currently valued at $4500 per year in addition to the GTA stipend.
UNL Graduate Studies Endowed Fellowships are available on a competitive basis.
Information about student loans may be found at the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid, 16 Administration Building, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE 68588-0411, (402) 472-2030.