Dr. Peter A. Eklund, faculty advisor
Auditions for 2013-2014 BRS
Auditions for 2013-2014 BIG RED SINGERS
for both new and returning members
Big Red Singers is open to ALL
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
students regardless of major.
Time and Place:
Monday, Arpil 29th, 2013
Tuesday, April 30th, 2013
Arrive before 6pm for registration
6pm - 9pm (group singing audition, dance audition, and interview)
Westbrook Music Building, UNL city campus
We are seeking...
• Students who are willing to make a year-long commitment to this pre-determined student-friendly schedule of rehearsals/performances (Sunday and Tuesday evening rehearsals). Students who are capable and willing to clear the week prior to fall classes beginning for a fun but intense week of vocal and choregraphic rehearsals culminating with a performance at the end of the week.
• Students who have previous show choir, singing-dancing, and/or music theatre experience and would like to continue.
• Students who love to perform.
• Students who are eager to learn more about how show choir shows are run and perfected (those future teachers who will one day, run their own ensemble)
• Flexible individuals who can work as a team/ensemble.
• Prepare a brief résumé describing your experience as a singer/dancer. The résumé should include a head shot, or you can submit one separately. Be sure to bring both of these items to your audition. Some examples are show choir and concert choir experience, roles in musicals and theatre productions, or anything else that interests you. This biography, with a head shot, must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org before your audition date.
• Prepare 24-36 measures from any Broadway Musical that best exhibits your
vocal skills. Please mark all of your cuts very clearly in red. An accompanist will be provided.
• Be prepared to change into more comfortable clothing for the dance portion of the audition.
•Have your hair configured to represent the look you will recreate on stage.
• Be ready to learn choreography swiftly.
• Be ready to answer a few questions in the interview segment of the audition.
• Email - Head Shot and bio
• Audition - Bring résumé and Head Shot
Mission of the ensemble:
• To prepare future performers for careers in performing and to audition well
• To prepare tomorrow's music educators
• To create a great environment for those desiring to continue their performing and enhance their performance skills
Directed by Adam Philley, (Dr. Peter A. Eklund, faculty advisor), and in 2012-2013 are choreographed by nationally acclaimed broadway stars from the touring group of "Jersey Boys," Kevin Worley and his wife Denise Payne, as well as local talent Ben Eklund and Kameron Churchman, Big Red Singers is comprised of fifty-two singer-dancers and ten instrumentalists. The ensemble is one of the most recent additions to the choral area at the University of Nebraska – Lincoln, and features some of the university’s finest musicians. Outstanding performers from all over the university that represent a variety of different majors from Music Education to Engineering to Psychology as well as students involved in the Greek system, work together in the development of entertaining, high-energy, fully choreographed shows. The ensemble’s repertoire is chosen from a wide variety of popular music as well as music from Broadway.
Although some performances occur in the fall semester, most performances are scheduled during the spring semester. The first semester is utilized to develop ideal performance habits. One of the ensemble’s main objectives is to build advanced stage presence, and professionalism while continuing to foster healthy singing. Big Red Singers seeks to represent the very best in show choir while providing numerous cross-curriculum benefits. While maintaining their show choir status, Big Red Singers is also active in the world of classical music performing as opera chorus and recital choir for several conductors. Within the ensemble is an atmosphere of collegiality among its musicians, and it provides the young professional with useful tools for future careers on stage. Big Red Singers functions as an ambassador of the Glenn Korff School of Music, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and the choral area. It is designed to provide the university singer with guidance in performing, performance opportunities, experiences, and leadership skills.
In 2004, Big Red Singers performed at the National MTNA Conference in Kansas City, MO, hosted and performed in exhibition at FAME’s World Show Choir Championships & Expo in April, 2005 in Branson, MO. They have also been the opera chorus for UN-L’s fall production of Mozart’s The Magic Flute, performed and hosted FAME’s 2009 Branson Show Choir competition, and have performed at the prestigious Chancellor’s prestigious Nebraska football pre-game party.
The Big Red Singers host their own summer show choir camp, their annual MIDWEST CUP in Lincoln’s Pershing Center and also in UNL’s magnificent Lied Center and perform regionally. In addition, Big Red Singers have performed at Nebraska’s NMEA fall conference of music educators numerous times.
photos by Wyn Wiley:
Big Red Singers: 2012-2013
Big Red Singers: 2011-2012
Members for 2013-2014
Please read the information at the bottom of the list:
Abbey Jo Klein
To confirm membership, Email Abbie at email@example.com
Singers all need to reserve the COMPLETE week prior to the fall start of UNL classes for vocal rehearsals and choreography sessions in the Johnny Carson Theatre. We will start the evening of Aug 18, location TBA with a complete end-of-week-show in Kimball Recital Hall the following Saturday for friends, family, and the general public. Singers will need to purchase their own uniform shoes, informal performance uniform pants/slacks, and a uniform polo shirt prior to that performance.
We had an all-time high of wonderful returning members reauditioning. MANY, MANY fine and talented singers auditioned. Many who were selected have auditioned in the past and joined other UNL choirs and improved their reading, singing, and movement skills. If you weren't selected for this choir, please join another one. CONGRATS TO ALL...and a huge THANKS to your 'Student Audition Committee' for all of their work and sweat.