About the group
Directed by Scott Rieker, (Dr. Peter A. Eklund, faculty advisor), and in 2012-2013 and choreographed by nationally acclaimed choreographer, April James, as well as award-winning local choreographer, Ben Eklund and one of our own, Daylan Fargo, Big Red Singers is comprised of fifty singer-dancers and nearly twenty instrumentalists. The ensemble is one of the most recent additions to the choral area at the University of Nebraska – Lincoln, and features some of the university’s finest musicians. Outstanding performers from all over the university that represent a variety of different majors from Music Education to Engineering to Psychology as well as students involved in the Greek system, work together in the development of entertaining, high-energy, fully choreographed shows. The ensemble’s repertoire is chosen from a wide variety of popular music as well as music from Broadway.
Although some performances occur in the fall semester, most performances are scheduled during the spring semester. The first semester is utilized to develop ideal performance habits. One of the ensemble’s main objectives is to build advanced stage presence, and professionalism while continuing to foster healthy singing. Big Red Singers seeks to represent the very best in show choir while providing numerous cross-curriculum benefits. While maintaining their show choir status, Big Red Singers is also active in the world of classical music performing as opera chorus and recital choir for several conductors. Within the ensemble is an atmosphere of collegiality among its musicians, and it provides the young professional with useful tools for future careers on stage. Big Red Singers functions as an ambassador of the Glenn Korff School of Music, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and the choral area. It is designed to provide the university singer with guidance in performing, performance opportunities, experiences, and leadership skills.
In April of 2013, the Big Red Singers hosted and performed in exhibition at the FAME World Show Choir Contest in Branson, MO. That same year, they were also the featured choir for the Lincoln Symphony Orchestra’s Christmas Pops concert in December. In 2004, Big Red Singers performed at the National MTNA Conference in Kansas City, MO, hosted and performed in exhibition at FAME’s World Show Choir Championships & Expo in April, 2005 in Branson, MO. They have also been the opera chorus for UNL’s fall production of Mozart’s The Magic Flute, performed and hosted FAME’s 2009 Branson Show Choir competition, and have performed at the prestigious Chancellor’s prestigious Nebraska football pre-game party. In addition, Big Red Singers have performed at Nebraska’s NMEA fall conference of music educators numerous times.
The Big Red Singers host their own summer show choir camp, the annual MIDWEST CUP Show Choir Invitational in at the Lied Center for Performing Arts, and perform regionally. Enrollment for the show choir camp is available through May 16th at music.unl.edu.
Audition Results 2014-2015 Big Red Singers
Congratulations to everyone who auditioned for Big Red Singers for 2014-2015, and for making our decisions difficult. In the end, the committee made decisions based on creating a cohesive ensemble for next year. If you were not selected this year, don’t despair. Please do audition next year (many selected for this ensemble had auditioned previously), and in the interim, join another UNL choral ensemble. You may also want to consider attending the Nebraska Show Choir Camp (open to incoming freshmen, as well as high school students), to further refine your performance skills. The deadline for that registration is May 16th, and you can find further information at: http://music.unl.edu/choir/nebraska-show-choir-camp-summer
Again, congratulations all. It’s looking like a great year!
BRS for 2014-2015
Auditions for the 2014-2015 School Year
Time and Place were:
Monday, May 5th, 2014
Tuesday, May 6th, 2014
Arrive before 6pm for registration
6pm - 9pm (group singing audition, dance audition, and interview)
Westbrook Music Building, UNL city campus
We are seeking...
• Students who are willing to make a year-long commitment to this pre-determined student-friendly schedule of rehearsals/performances (Sunday and Tuesday evening rehearsals). Students who are capable and willing to clear the week prior to fall classes beginning for a fun but intense week of vocal and choregraphic rehearsals culminating with a performance at the end of the week.
• Students who have previous show choir, singing-dancing, and/or music theatre experience and would like to continue.
• Students who love to perform.
• Students who are eager to learn more about how show choir shows are run and perfected (those future teachers who will one day, run their own ensemble)
• Flexible individuals who can work as a team/ensemble.
• Prepare a brief résumé describing your experience as a singer/dancer. The résumé should include a head shot, or you can submit one separately. Be sure to bring both of these items to your audition. Some examples are show choir and concert choir experience, roles in musicals and theatre productions, or anything else that interests you. This biography, with a head shot, must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org before your audition date.
• Prepare 24-36 measures from any Broadway Musical that best exhibits your
vocal skills. Please mark all of your cuts very clearly in red. An accompanist will be provided.
• Be prepared to change into more comfortable clothing for the dance portion of the audition.
•Have your hair configured to represent the look you will recreate on stage.
• Be ready to learn choreography swiftly.
• Be ready to answer a few questions in the interview segment of the audition.
• Email - Head Shot and bio
• Audition - Bring résumé and Head Shot
Mission of the ensemble:
• To prepare future performers for careers in performing and to audition well
• To prepare tomorrow's music educators
• To create a great environment for those desiring to continue their performing and enhance their performance skills